Yeah, I said it: the coffee nook we built this weekend is really stinking cute!  My wife is an absolute genius as far as I am concerned, and I’m not ashamed to admit it.  Here’s how it went down.

IMG_2602BEFORE

 

IMG_2637 AFTER

 

Am I right or am I right?!

It all started when Lynne was browsing around the IKEA website and saw these great hooks and rails:

fintorp-rail__0119153_PE275320_S4 fintorp-hook__0119152_PE275319_S4

 

The rails are 22.5″ long and she measured the wall in our kitchen by the dining room doorway: 23″ across!  She decided it was a sign that we were meant to hang our coffee mugs on the wall (and by we I mean me).  So we went ahead and ordered four rails, a bunch of hooks, and two matching baskets to store our K-cups.  Doing some rough calculations, e.g. laying some mugs on the counter below where they would hang, we decided that we might be able to fit four cups per rod.

IMG_2601

We found out rather quickly that a job such as this requires two people: one to hold up the rods and the other to say whether it should be higher or lower.  Trust me on this one; it makes things WAY easier in the long run.

IMG_2605

To begin the installation, we measured where we wanted the bottom rail to be and then used our level to make sure the rail would be straight.  (We found out that the walls are very much not straight, which doesn’t help, but oh well!  Comes with the territory of an 1850 house I guess.)

IMG_2607

 

…Lynne snapped this one of me pondering IKEA’s decision not to include screws with which to hang the rails on the wall… so we made a quick trip to Lowe’s to buy some screws.

IMG_2604

Once we had the screws, it was time to do some drilling!  We marked EXACTLY where we wanted to screw the holes based on the rail backing holes.

IMG_2609Once we had the screws in the wall, we could just slip the rail brackets over them.  Too easy.

IMG_2614

 

 

We just slipped the rail through the brackets and it was all done!

IMG_2616

 

 

Then it got a little tricker… for the rest of the rails, we had to not only make sure they were level but that they were exactly the same distance apart.  First we played around with the distance til we found one that seemed okay (again, having two people here is key):

 

IMG_2619

 

And then we had to measure to make sure they were consistent throughout.IMG_2621

As it was coming together, Lynne started to become giddy…

IMG_2626

 

 

The finished product was pretty stinking cute if I do say so myself.  I think it turned out really well!  All for very cheap and very little time!

IMG_2637

-David