A few weekends ago, David and I decided to take some time to peruse an antique shop while we were driving home from somewhere (I don’t exactly remember where we were to be honest).  We happened upon the most amazing find– an antique dry sink basin for only $80!

We somehow got it home in the trunk and backseat of my little Nissan Sentra and after the tile and backsplash was in, we brought it upstairs to see how it would fit in the bathroom.

DSC_0361 DSC_0360 DSC_0362

 

 

Step one: finding the antique dry basin.  Check!

Step two: finding the vessel sink to go inside the basin.  Hmmm…

 

I happened to be at Lowe’s for one thing or another when I saw a very, very reasonably priced sink (only $78!):

vessel sink

I picked it up and brought it home, only to realize it was too big for the antique dry basin.  🙁  After further research online, though, I realized all vessel sinks (at least all within our price range) were too big for the antique dry basin!  David and I make the decision to cut the dry basin around the vessel sink, allowing it to spill over the edge in the front.  We knew we had to cut into the dry basin for the plumbing anyway, so why not go full steam ahead?

Our contractor did the cutting for us in a matter of minutes, which was such a blessing because it would have taken us (and by us, I mean David) quite a while.  After he was done, David got to work sanding the piece and using a sealant to protect the wood from water.

DSC_0377 DSC_0376

 

The sealant we used was made by Rust-Oleum:

ROWC_Int_UltimatePoly_8oz_Gloss_L

 

DSC_0393 DSC_0390

 

We put on three coats, waiting a day between each coat.

I’ve ordered the faucet from Overstock for $175 (by far the most expensive part of this whole project!) and once it comes in, we’ll be ready to get this all hooked up!!!  I’m dying to see how it all turns out!  In the meantime, we’re waiting for these nonstop showers to give us a break so we can do some painting in the bathroom.