A few weekends ago, David and I decided to take some time to peruse an antique shop while we were driving home from somewhere (I don’t exactly remember where we were to be honest). We happened upon the most amazing find– an antique dry sink basin for only $80!
Step one: finding the antique dry basin. Check!
We somehow got it home in the trunk and backseat of my little Nissan Sentra and after the tile and backsplash was in, we brought it upstairs to see how it would fit in the bathroom.
Step two: finding the vessel sink to go inside the basin.
I happened to be at Lowe’s for one thing or another when I saw a very, very reasonably priced sink (only $78!):
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I picked it up and brought it home, only to realize it was too big for the antique dry basin. 🙁 After further research online though, I realized all vessel sinks (at least all within our price range) were too big for the antique dry basin!
Step three: cut the basin for a sink to fit.
David and I make the decision to cut the dry basin around the vessel sink, allowing it to spill over the edge in the front. We knew we had to cut into the dry basin for the plumbing anyway. Why not go full steam ahead?
Our contractor did the cutting for us in a matter of minutes, which was such a blessing. It would have taken us (and by us, I mean David) quite a while.
Step four: waterproof the basin.
After he was done, David got to work sanding the piece and using a sealant to protect the wood from water.
The sealant we used was made by Rust-Oleum:
We put on three coats, waiting a day between each coat.
I’ve ordered the faucet from Overstock for $175 (by far the most expensive part of this whole project!). Once it comes in, we’ll be ready to get this all hooked up!!! I’m dying to see how it all turns out! In the meantime, we’re waiting for these nonstop showers to give us a break. Looking forward to doing some painting in the bathroom.