Okay, time to share some cool updates on the renovation project!
The first step of the project is demo-ing an old random fireplace that apparently exists behind the wall in the hallway to make room for a new, big walk-in closet for our bedroom. This fireplace was covered over in drywall and its chimney stopped at the height of the attic floor… definitely not use-able. Our contractor and his guys started the project by taking out the bricks one by one and carrying them downstairs to the yard.
Here are some of the piles of bricks they created:
Super cool, right? And before you ask, “What are you going to do with the old bricks?”, allow me to share that I’m up for any ideas. Right now I’m focusing on just getting this renovation project complete and using all my creative juices on that… but I know those bricks are going to have some amazing feature in our home at some point.
So they took out the old concealed fireplace/ chimney (by the way, they stopped at just the upstairs rather than take out the one that apparently exists on the first floor too… because I was overwhelmed with all the dust this created and they said they could always come back and demo the rest downstairs another time. Plus maybe I’ll peal back the drywall downstairs and expose the old brickwork to make a fake fireplace one day or something.).
Here’s a picture of the old closet in our master bedroom, with our super cute model Miss Evie. 🙂
Next step was tearing out the old closets (one was the one pictured, and to the right, you can see a part of the sliding door closet) to create one massive space. They then put down a floor and walls to create one big walk-in closet to the left and one small little closet to the right.
We chose a new pine floor that they hopefully will stain to match (as much as possible) our old pine floors in the bedroom.
The walk-in-closet’s doorway was awkwardly close to the doorway leading into the master bedroom so we opted to make it a pocket door (my mom’s suggestion!). Works beautifully!
The guys did all the drywalling and priming, and then David and I got to work and painted the inside of both closets. Rather than use the same pink as the bedroom walls or a boring white, we decided to go with a pretty blue paint. I wanted something that evoked “calm,” which is usually the antithesis of a closet, but I have a hope that we will keep these closets calm and tidy, so blue seemed to set the scene.
(The paint color we chose was “Blue Bayou” 0615 by Richards Paint and I LOVE it. We got it at Childress Paints in Charlottesville. I’ll do a blog post later on this brand of paint but suffice it to say it was awesome.)
After we painted the walls and ceiling a lovely Blue Bayou, our contractor installed a light centered in the closet that illuminates the whole thing well.
I’ll share the rest of it with you soon! Love the progress that is happening!! Hope everyone has a good rest of the week.